Well, there’s good news, and then there’s bad news.
Let’s go bad first. Scott’s mom is in the hospital. She’s having a flare-up of some kind of infection in her back. But while there, she started to have some sort of “heart episode.” They checked, and at least two of her major arteries are 90% blocked. They would go in and do an angioplasty and put in some stents, but they can’t until the infection in her back is cleared up. So right now they’re blasting her with antibiotics and keeping her fairly sedated. It may be a week or more until they can do the stents. And if those don’t work (which they didn’t last time) then it’ll mean bypass time again. She’s already had bypass surgery once before, so the family is … I don’t want to say “used to this,” but at least they know what to expect. I’m hoping for the best, because I actually really like my mother-in-law.
With any luck, we’ll be able to get over there the weekend after this one and spend some time with her.
Now, onward to the good news. The insurance adjustor called with some figures for my car. From the NADA report and Kelly Blue Book, we were expecting a car in such good condition, and with such low mileage, to get just under $3,000. However, we were fully expecting them to offer less than that.
Offer for the car: $3739.81. YEAH!
Technically, we’re selling the car to them for that price, then we’ve been given the option of buying the car back for a little over $300. Which we’re going to do, because the engine is still in fantastic shape. I don’t mind driving a car that’s had it’s ass smashed in. In fact, I’m trying to come up with a good bumper sticker to put near the damage to warn off other drivers. Any ideas?
At any rate, we’re getting a check in a few days. We’ll hold on to it until we get the car checked over for roadworthiness by the state and are issued a new title. Then it’ll be time to think about a scooter or two.