Sourdough: Time to Bake!

The starter was ready, more than doubling in size after a feeding. I had two days off in a row. It was time to bake! I began by moving the starter into a larger bowl and feeding it with a full cup of flour, as well as about a half-cup of water. The mere act of making a bigger sour sludge changes its name from “starter” to “sponge”. “Proofing the sponge” is letting your big gooey mess grow to double its size, as you can see here. Then you use. . . Read More!

Flora, Fauna, Fungus, and Bacteria

Came home today to find this ginormous mushroom next to the parking lot. Did a double-take, saw the tiny lizard on top of it. He scampered off just as my phone made its picture-clicky sound. Meanwhile, the sourdough starter from the freezer is ready to use. It grew to more than double its original size (marked with a line) in two hours. Sadly, the pantry stuff isn’t quite there yet. (Although another day or two might get it there.) I think I’m going to mix a little of the pantry. . . Read More!

Duke's #1 Clam Chowder

I’ve had this recipe card in my file for about 15 years. I really should make this stuff more often. If you’ve ever been to Duke’s in Seattle, you know how great their chowder is. Their take-home recipe isn’t quite there, but it’s really good anyway. I’ve also made a few small adjustments of my own. 2 slices diced bacon 1 Tbsp butter 1/2 onion, diced 2 stalks celery, diced pinch of chopped fresh garlic 1 tsp thyme 1/2 tsp marjoram 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning 1/4 tsp black pepper 1/4. . . Read More!

Butter Cookies & Gingerbread Cookies

A coworker is leaving tomorrow, and I wanted to bake for him. He chose cookies, so I chose cut-out cookies (he’s leaving to do a one-man show that’s guitar-centric, and I wanted to break out my guitar cookie cutter). These are two of my favorite old holiday recipes, but they’re good any time. I think for the butter cookies, the original recipe was called “bunny butter cookies”, which I always figured meant they were for Easter. But in my house, we made these for birthdays, Christmas, Halloween, Flag Day, and. . . Read More!

Sourdough Starter: The Adventure Continues

BUBBLES! Day 1 — 24 hours since these guys woke up. I fed them again at 8am, and now at 8pm, one of them is clearly doing much better than the other. It’s twice the size, and is bubbling like crazy. The other one is just kind of hanging out, bubbling a little but not too much, and hasn’t risen much at all. But I still have hope that it’ll get its act in gear. It’s interesting to note that the one doing much better is the 03/08 batch that. . . Read More!

Sourdough Starter: 2+ Years Later

So over two years ago, as the title suggests, I made my own sourdough starter. It was a victory both of science and of yumminess. I enjoyed the process of capturing the wild Florida yeasts, and the bread I made was pretty darned good too. I took some of the starter and dried it — smeared a thin coating on sheets of parchment paper, let it dry, crumbled it up and then put it away. A few months after Project Sourdough, I decided to lose the damn hell ass weight. . . Read More!