Crafts: Quick Little Purse / Tote Bag

Goodness, I’ve been remiss in posting. My computer pooped out recently (shiny new one is now in use), and the other person who does my job at work went and broke her wrist, so I’ve been a little busy there. But not too busy for a little weekend crafting! I was at the IKEA and saw that they had some cool fabrics for cheap, so I figured I’d throw down a little purse. The plain yellow and blue were on sale for something crazy like $2.99 per yard. The colorful. . . Read More!

Free Fonts for National Handwriting Day!

So you may know that I have a thing for making fonts. Several of which are yours for the taking, for free. Which means that I’m super-duper excited that YourFonts will create your very own handwriting font for FREE today and tomorrow, in honor of National Handwriting Day (January 23). I’ve already created a couple, and coerced Scott to fill out his own template so I could process it. They make it pretty darned easy — download the template, fill out the letters with your favorite pen (I have a. . . Read More!

Compu-Crafts: More Phone Hijinks!

Yes, I just spent a good portion of last weekend monkeying with my phone. Not only did I do things to the user interface to make it look pretty, but I also installed new software on it. That software was awesome. Then, this last Monday, the news came out that with Cyanogen (the new software we’d put on our phones), our phones couldn’t dial 911. It’s not a problem with all phones. It’s not even a problem with some phones. It’s a problem specifically with this one model of phone,. . . Read More!

Compu-Crafts: Phone Fonts, Skins, and Rooting

It feels weird to categorize this stuff in the same way as the oven mitts, but it’s crafty in its own way. I discovered the other day, after a year and a half of using this phone, that I could change the font. Yes, it took that long for me to find a little menu. I immediately changed it to something called “choco cooky” or something, which was cute enough, but if you know me at all, you know that I want my own darned font on there. So I. . . Read More!

Crafts: Easy Little Oven Mitt

So a little while ago, in a post about gluten-free pasta, I mentioned that I’d made the oven mitt in the background. We have two other store-bought oven mitts, but we went for the cheapest and most boring ones, and they look a little scruffy. The yellow one is the one we use the most. I figured I’d make a couple more, and take snappies of the process. This is a pretty easy project for a beginner, and a lot of fun. Onward! First off, you’ll need to get your. . . Read More!

I See Some White Shorts and I Want to Dye Them Black

I visited Old Navy the other day, and was delighted to find that they had half the store on clearance. A huge section was dedicated to white shorts in all lengths. I got a couple of pairs, since Old Navy’s shorts fit my pear-shaped butt fairly well. But white shorts have a problem — a HUGE problem, if most of your undergarments are colorful. That’s right: VISIBLE UNDIES. Scourge of the warm-weather world. So I figured I’d keep one white pair (to only be worn with flesh-toned underthings, I swear). . . Read More!

Basic Instructions: Behind the Scenes

Wow, I can’t believe it’s been over three years since I drew a guest comic for Basic Instructions. My first was the aptly titled “How to Have a Guest Artist Draw Your Comic Strip.” Now I have an additional strip under my belt (which you should go read first, if you haven’t already), and since I had to re-learn how to draw and assemble a strip in the Scott Meyer way, I figured I’d give a little behind-the-scenes peek at how Basic Instructions gets made. First off, there’s the idea.. . . Read More!

Quick & Easy Gadget Sleeve (Phone, Kindle, iPad, etc.)

So Scott has acquired a gadget. I’m sure from the photos coming up, you’ll figure out what that gadget is. He also has a birthday coming up in less than a week. Combine that with me and a sewing machine, and I knew what to make him for his big day. I studied a couple of other gadget case blog posts, namely the Padded iPad Sleeve Tutorial and the Slightly Self-Cleaning iPad Sleeve. I liked the padded sleeve because no closure was necessary, but I liked the soft idea of. . . Read More!

DIY Font

My attention was directed today to Your Fonts, a site that will generate your own handwriting as a font for FREE. I’ve made several handwriting fonts in the past, but it’s been a labor-intensive process of drawing/editing each character, then compiling them in a font creation program. This was much quicker and easier. They give you a template to print out. You fill in each letter and character. Scan it back in, upload it, and in a trice, you have a font of your handwriting! It took maybe 15 minutes. . . Read More!

Fizzy Bath Bombs

A little craft project that works great, and saves a ton of money. 1 cup baking soda (ordinary, store-bought variety) 1/2 cup citric acid (powdered)* 1/2 cup Epsom salts (health and beauty section) 1/4 cup cornstarch ** 2 Tbsp oil (vegetable, olive, walnut, almond — whatever you want) 1/2 to 1 tsp essential or fragrance oil 10 drops food coloring witch hazel in a misting spray bottle * Citric acid can be found in some stores — if your local grocery has a pickling/canning section, you might find it as. . . Read More!